over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Question for those that use the slingshot

I’ve used it on smith inclines.
The problem for me is it makes my shoulder worse, not better. For example w out it I’ll get 275x 10 reps. With it 315 x 10.
The few times I’ve used it and done the 315x10 it killed my shoulder for days after.
This is me with knee wraps. My knees are battered so use wraps to keep them feeling secure but then normal weights feel too light and the temptation to load weights up creeps in and I pay for it for days after.

I'm sure you're supposed to get wiser as you get older. Lol

To be honest I don't see the use of a typical slingshot in bodybuilding training because it relieves you of a large part of the load in the position of maximum stretching which is where we have the most hypertrophy.
@luki7788 and I typically always agree but this is one time where I'll disagree based on experience.

I've used a Slingshot since 2016 / 2017. That's before I switched to bodybuilding training and before I gained the majority of my muscle.

Since 2016 / 2017 I've used a Slingshot every week on my heaviest 3-4 sets of chest presses and shoulder presses. Does anyone really think it hindered my gains?

If I sacrifice an extra 5lbs. of muscle to never have any kind of injury / tear / strain - a.k.a. never having extended time off training - then I say that sacrifice is well worth it. At 37, with many years of lifting crazy heavy weights, my body feels great. I don't have a single thing that bothers me.

It'd be interesting to have an EMG study done looking at stress on the muscle fibers in a lifer using a Slingshot vs. one not using a Slingshot.

I used the Sling shot often when powerlifting. High chance of straining my pec going over 365 and it was a great overload tool.
Since switching to bodybuilding I dont really use it as Luki mentioned it deloads the position most advantageous for hypertrophy. But coincidentally used it today as way to increase volume, rather than load. I usually work up to top set then do a back off set. Today after my top set on incline I did an additional set at the same weight as my top set. Kept it very controlled and slight pause at the bottom.
This is how I will be performing my reps with a pause in the bottom.

@luki7788 and I typically always agree but this is one time where I'll disagree based on experience.

I've used a Slingshot since 2016 / 2017. That's before I switched to bodybuilding training and before I gained the majority of my muscle.

Since 2016 / 2017 I've used a Slingshot every week on my heaviest 3-4 sets of chest presses and shoulder presses. Does anyone really think it hindered my gains?

If I sacrifice an extra 5lbs. of muscle to never have any kind of injury / tear / strain - a.k.a. never having extended time off training - then I say that sacrifice is well worth it. At 37, with many years of lifting crazy heavy weights, my body feels great. I don't have a single thing that bothers me.

It'd be interesting to have an EMG study done looking at stress on the muscle fibers in a lifer using a Slingshot vs. one not using a Slingshot.
but you can disagree I have nothing against it, it's just that pure physics confirms what I'm talking about

I’m with @danieltx

If your 32-33+ of age, and still have to use a barbell for your heavy chest compound, or just enjoy pressing…..get the slingshot.

Shoulder aches are a thing of the past

What is the difference between using slingshot and placing resistance bands in such a way that they reduce the tonnage at the beginning of the movement?

In either case, in both you are reducing the weight at the beginning of the movement and increasing it at the end, where your triceps are supporting the load. In other words, what Luki said.

Personally I use bands to do some forced reps after a conventional set, but I don't see how this can protect the shoulders any more than simply reducing the weight and using a weight that you can move smoothly throughout the entire movement.

I love it. I have two. Regular and heavy. Lifesaver with pressing.

I bench rather heavy very frequently, and do a lot of overhead work/dips/etc.

Ive never had an injury when using it regularly, and I just won my most recent powerlifting competition. It doesn’t hinder strength gains if you use it correctly, and similarly it’s fine for hypertrophic goals.

A loaded bench session with a SS followed by heavy flies and dips without it = my idea of perfection.

What is the difference between using slingshot and placing resistance bands in such a way that they reduce the tonnage at the beginning of the movement?

In either case, in both you are reducing the weight at the beginning of the movement and increasing it at the end, where your triceps are supporting the load. In other words, what Luki said.

Personally I use bands to do some forced reps after a conventional set, but I don't see how this can protect the shoulders any more than simply reducing the weight and using a weight that you can move smoothly throughout the entire movement.
that's exactly what I mean

The slingshot is extremely helpful in powerlifting to improve the strength of triceps and lockout, but in bodybuilding many of us completely skip the lockout phase, so in such a situation the only use of the slingshot is to boost the ego with the possibility of using more weight, but this will not translate into a greater mechanical load on the muscles.

Of course, lest anyone misunderstand me - I don't mind if someone uses a slingshot in bodybuilding training, but I simply prefer to use a smaller load and work to the fullest extent without weakening any of the chain links, or possibly use a very light reverse band, because for me even the lightest the slingshot is too strong

I used the red slingshot doing dips on parallel bars. Been a long time where I didn’t experience severe pain in my shoulders doing this movement. I’ll take this as a win for me and I can do dips once again! 🥳

Cage

Let us know what you think of it.

I primarily used the slignshot when i was PLing, not doing BBing stuff. So only on pressing movements as I too have 1 iffy shoulder.
But you know what helped my shoulders the most? I stopped OH pressing.

Im assuming your shoulder is hurting you on anyyy pressing movement then right?
It's a win so far.Used it on Smith incline and hammer flat press.No shoulder pain,I paused every rep on every heavy set.Wish I would have used one years ago.

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
scrawl
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws