over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

need weight routine based around martial arts

apollo

Newbies
I recently began training in vale tudo(mixed martial arts) and brazilian jiu jitsu. I am having trouble working in my wight routine.Righ tnow my traing schedule is: monday, wednesday,friday,sunday- jiu-jitsu from 7-8:30pm
tuesday and thursday- vale tudo from 8-10pm
I also work from 10am-3pm. I am looking for a solid routine bu tnot one that will lead to overtraining when combined with the martial arts. Currently my stats are 6'3 220lbs about 9% bf

I would recommend lifting only on days when training for you martial arts is not so intense. You definitely wanna keep weights to a minimum.. looking at 1-2 workouts per week. Looking at your martial arts schedule, it seems like making you go to the gym more often than that would make you dread lifting soon..

Dragging your ass to the gym after a taxing session isn't exactly the most fun thing to look forward to. I wouldn't recommend sat as a day to train although its the only day off for you. You really need rest.

If you do lift, keep it short and intense.. tell me what you think before i continue..

sounds good but I would like ot be in the gym more than once or twice a week

You can try it out by all means.. see how your body responds to such huge amounts of intensive training.. any questions just post em here! We'll be glad to help

MMA based routine

Apollo,
I was training in MMA for quite some time and I was coming into the sport from a powerlifting/bodybuilding background so I was helping the guys at the school with their weight training as well. The most important thing we found was to not overtrain. Once things start to break down it sends you on a road of one injury after another until you are forced to take time off. The best fighters are those that keep fighting so you need to plan your training around longevity. When we got close to a fight date we would pick up all the training over the last few weeks peaking on the day oif the fight. Training was based around 3 basic exercises to be determined by the indivuduals needs/experience/injuries. We would do one heavy upper body pushing, one upper body pulling and one heavy leg movement. We would do 3-4 warm up sets and finish with a heavy set of 5 trying to go up each week on the max set. The rest of the workout was 2 or 3 sets of medium heavy 10-25 rep sets on the bodyparts that were weak or injured and needed rehab. We found out quick that too much extra lifting set us all up for injuries. Those of us that weren't afraid to take days off when burnt out kept healthy and strong. Those that didn't you could feel getting weaker on the mat as the weeks went by. Unfortunately I didn't take my own own advice and pushed many times when I should have backed off and ended up with many injuries I am just now starting to finally (9 months after my last MMA workout) get past. Good luck with the training!

thanks guys, great info. Hey sammy, u think u could post the routine you were following?

Here is a rough idea.

Monday
High Incline Dumbell Press: 30'sx10, 50'sx10, 70'sx5, 90'sx5,110'sx5, 130'sx3.
(The bench was set half way between an incline press and a regular shoulder press setting-this was the only angle I could press heavy at the time at becuase of a shoulder injury).
Wide Grip Pullups: 2 sets bodyweight for 1 more rep than last time.
-supersetted with-
Dive bomber or regular Pushups: 2 sets 1 more rep than last time.
Dumbell Front/Side/Rear raise: 20'sx25front/25side/25rear non-stop (2 tri-sets)
Alternating Dumbell Curls: 2 sets 25'sx25each arm.
-supersetted with-
Narrow grip pushups using ez bar: 2 sets bodyweightxmax reps.

Wednesday
Neck Bridges: 2 sets 25 reps holding 100lb plate on chest.
-supersetted with-
Front neck raises lying on bench with head hanging off holding a 100lb plate on forhead with towel: 2 sets 25 reps.
Deadlift: 135x10, 225x5, 315x5,405x5,500x5.
45 degree Leg Press:180x10,360x5,540x5,720x5,990x5,1080x5. (when we did squats we would do them before deadlifts)
45 degree Calf raises: 2 sets 25 reps.
Leg extension: 2 sets 100x20-25.
-Supersetted with-
Lying Leg curls: 2 sets 80x20-25.

Friday
Weighted incline situps: bwtx25, 50x25, 50x25.
Dumbell Side Bends: 100x25 reps to each side.
Lying side to side leg raises: 50 reps.
v-ups-50 reps.
Rotator cuff work: 2 sets 25 reps each arm.
Arm Pump: we would usually superset a couple of different arm exercises for 3 or 4 sets of 10-15 reps just to get a pump.

This was our basic format. We would train the heavy pressing movement on Monday because we were rested from the weekend off. We would train heavy pulling and legs on wed so we wouldn't be burnt out for fri night vale tudo. We rarely went to failure instead opting for a good work set that was a little better than last time. We rotated our basic movements every couple of weeks so we didn't burn out. The extra work we did was on our weak areas and to keep us healthy more than to put on size. If we felt burnt out we had no problem going easy on a particular exercise because at this time the fighting is the most important aspect of the training. For example if our knees were extra sore from grappling or we felt like we weren't going to make a gain on leg press we may do 500 bodyweight squats instead (either as one big set or 5 sets of 100). You need to be very in tune with your body because it's very easy to push through an injury and start breaking down. Once a stiff shoulder or elbow sets in it's tough to rehab it without taking time off from sparring/grappling becuase theres really no way to work around it so you need to be really careful to avoid these things in the first place. The 3 exercises that we concentrated on kept us plenty strong and most of the guys who had been fighting but were new to lifting made some great gains size and strength and ended up moving up a wiehgt class. Very important as well is too make sure you are well hydrated at all times. Eat like a bodybuilder, plenty of protein(1.5-2g pro/lb bwt), essential fats and vitamins and minerals and you will look great as well as keeping injuries to a minimum. Also, it's a good idea to start taking a good joint "helper" supplemt of glucosamine and chondroitin before you need it-lol. Remember don't try to take it all on at once. Start training maybe 2 fighting and 2 lifting until your body gets used to it then start adding a workout here and there as your body adapts. If you try and train like a pro fighter right out of the gate you will end up burnt out and/or injured. Trust me I've seen literally over 20 guys come in gung ho for a week and have to take 3 months off to heal whatever they injured in the first week before coming back and starting over slowly.
I hope this helps and I wish you well in your training.

awesome dude, i had something similar to that in mind. Thanks guys for all your help.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
thinman72
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws