over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

LANTUS experiences

I'm sorry, but there is some false information in this thread. Insulin absolutely reduces insulin senstivity. Anyone who has any knowldge of how insulin works knows this. Consider the following...

First of all, it is important to understand that insulin receptor activation is one of the primary mechanisms through which insulin receptors become desensitized...and what activates insulin receptors, you might ask? If you guessed insulin (and to a lesser degree, IGF-1) you are correct!!! Hyperactivation of the insulin receptor is one of the main reasons for the prevalence of insulin resistance in bodybuilding today. Insulin receptors (just like many other types of receptors throughout the body) becomes less sensitive to the effects of their respective binding ligands the more frequently they are activated.

Why do you think keto diets work so wonderfully for restoring insulin senstivity? Because insulin levels are so low. The lower insulin levels fall (resulting in reduced insulin receptor signaling), the greater their senstivity becomes. The greater insulin levels climb (resulting in increased insulin receptor signaling), the less sensitive they become. It is an indisputable fact that hyperinsulinimia is a primary cause of insulin receptor downregulation....and both insulin and growth hormone are quite capable of causing hyperinsulinemia. Insulin does this through direct binding to the IR and GH by way of indirect mechanisms (elevated plasma fatty acid levels, increased IGF-1 levels, etc.). Even a brief look through the literatre (just Google "insulin receptor signaling and insulin resistance" or "insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia" and you will find tons of scientific literature proving this . This has been known for many decades ago...even a centory ago.

Note: In response to a previous comment, which reads "Why would using insulin make you insulin resistant? That's the literal reason you take the insulin", I will provide the answer. First, let's clarify exactly what insulin resistance is. Quite simply, insulin resistance/decreased insulin sensitivity is a state in which the insulin receptor no longer responds to the actions of insulin as powerfully as it once did/should. While physicians typically won't diagnose someone as "insulin resistant" until their insulin senstivity has decreased to a point where they are clinically pre-diabetic, both insulin resistance and decreased insulin senstivity essentially refer the same thing--insulin receptor downregulation. This usually starts out relatively minor, but can potentially progress to the point of full blown Type II diabetes (again, Type II diabetes is nothing more than a case of severely decreased insulin senstivity).

When insulin senstivity first begins to decrease, the first thing that occurs is a rise in blood glucose levels. Since the regulation of BG levels is absolutely crucial to the maintainance of life, rectifying this issue becomes the body's #1 priority. The body accomplishes this by signaling the pancreas to secrete additional insulin into the bloodstream. This solves the surface issue by restoring a more normal BG level, but it does nothing to resolve the underlying issue (i.e. decreased insulin sensitivity/insulin resistance). If sensitivity continues to worsen, the pancreas will secrete more and more insulin in an attempt to maintain BG levels in an ideal range. However, if the problem progresses beyond a certain point the pancreas will no longer be able to keep up, leading to a further increase in BG levels. At its worst, the beta cells of the pancreas (the cells responsible for making insulin) begin to burnout and die. If this happens, the body's ability to manage BG levels deteriorates even further. After all, if the very cells responsible for making insulin are already incapable of managing BG levels as it is, what do you think will happen when a bunch of them start to die? When this happens, we often see outrageous circulating BG levels.

Fortunately, long before an individual reaches this point, a doctor will prescribe something like metformin. If that isn't sufficient or eventually becomes insufficient due to a continued worsening of insulin sensitivity, other medications are prescibed (usually in tandem with metformin). In the end, if the 1st and 2nd lines of medical defense fail, exogenous insulin is the only option. Exogneous inulin is only employed as a last ditch effort to prevent someone from dying as a result of Type II diabetes induced hyperglycemia. By the time someone is prescribed insulin, their insulin senstivity is so horrible that a multitude of body systems have already been severely affected, leading to numerous health problems. So, as you can see, insulin does NOTHNG to correct insulin resistance/improve insulin senstivity. In this instance, its purpose is soley to manage BG levels, thereby saving the individual from imminent death. Assuming no other steps are taken, such an individual will CONTINUE to maintain horrid insulin senstivity for the rest of their shortened lifespan, while exeriencing all the health problems associated with Type II Diabetes.

Now that we've established the above, there are few ways you can use Lantus--some good, some bad. Let's break down the various programs:

* Extended Use, Low Dose
* Extended Use, High Dose
* Intermittent Use, Low dose
* Intermittent Use, High dose

Extended Use, Low Dose: It makes no sense, as you will only be replacing your body's own endogeous production with lantus. Remember, the main reason exogneous insulin provides its benefits is because insulin levels reach supraphysiological levels. If insulin levels never really go above normal (which is what occurs with low dose Lantus), what benefit do you expect to receive? The reason low dose lantus doesn't result in suprephyiological levels of insulin is because it releases so slowly. Therefore, when supplemtning with low doses of lantus, you are really just using it as a substitution for your body's own insulin. You're not getting anthing extra.
Note: I see some potential applications with this method in those who are suffering from beta cell burnout, but this does not apply to healthy bodybuilders with good insulin sensitivity.

Extended Use, High Dose: Stupid. Sure, it will lead to rapid intial weight gain, but the resulting decrease in insulin senstivity will be extreme. When employed over the long-term, such programs will lead to pre-diabetes/Type II dibates...and as we should all know by now, this does NOT lead to a better physique. I am not gong to go into all the ways in which insulin resistance ruins the physique (shape, health AND eventually size), as it is outside the scope of this post, but if you want to know what your ultimate lot is if you choose to go down this road, look no further than pictures of Dave Palumbo or Greg Kovacs towards the end of their careers. This is what happens when severe long-term insulin resistance remains unchecked. Remember, things didn't start out this way for them. In the beginning things seemed great. They just seemed to get bigger, but the consequences of their actions reared their ugly heads over time. Why do you think Dave (whom I like) espouses keto dieting so much these days...and perpetually follows a keto diet himself (because he scared the shit out of himself after he saw what uncontrolled insulin resistance does to the body and health). If you want to build the best physique possible and fullfill your true potential, don't even consider this approach. You will not be a better bodybuilder. Too many guys in the 90's and early 2000's did this and destroyed their physiques (growth hormone just made things worse).

Intermittent Use, Low Dose: While I don't have any issue with this from a health standpoint, you run into the same problem as above. Once again, you will just be replacing your body's own natural production of insulin with LANTUS.

Intermittent Use, High Dose: This can work very well while minimizing insulin resistance. I recommend a 1-2X day per week approach at high doses, either with weak bodyparts, or, if the individual needs overall mass, on the days he trains his largest bodyparts. By simultaneously implementing steps to maintain insulin senstivity (e.g. berberine, GW, cardio, eating a clean diet low in simple sugars and removing unecessary, excess dietary fat, etc.) one can greatly reduce or even completely offset the decrease in insulin senstivity that accompanies large dose intermittent insulin usage. One other option is to use high dose Lantus daily for 1-2 weeks during a blast, while simultaneously taking steps to maintain/improve insulin senstivity. If sensitivity is still a bit low after the blast, continue utilizings the insulin sensitizing methods mentioned above until senstivity is fully restored. It shouldn't take long--1 week or so--if you previously had good insulin senstivity. Truth be told, some people should always be taking these steps. Things such as berbrine, cardio and optimal diets (I am a huge proponent of GW for improving insulin senstivity and overall metabolic health) are of paramount importance for enhanced bodybuilders attempting to maximize their development, especially if GH is part of their program.
Thank you very much Mike for the comprehensive response to your answer I counted the most.
With the high dose in mind for a 290-300 pound weight and 8-9% bf bodybuilder, what dose do you mean? 100iu? and if I would like to use 1-2x a week a high dose for, say, 10 weeks, would you also note the days on which lantus gives a higher dose of gh? and do these days make high carbohydrates and avoid as much extra fats as possible?

Brother, remember, there is a BIG difference between "patients" using exogenous insulin and bodybuilders pushing ther insulin dose well into the supraphyiological range over the long-term. It is preisely the latter which causes issues. If insulin levels are kept in the normal range, then of course, senstivity issues won't occur...but this isn't possible when ijecting large amounts of insulin day in and day out.

The first part of what you described is what I told TheOtherOne, over signaling of the receptor causes beta cell desensitization which can occur without and with any analogue.

I don't think people are understanding me.
1) Insulin resistance is different than beta cell desensitization. This is what causes the diminished effect, the issue isn't the use of the lantus it's the over stimulation of the weight gain pathway.
2) if you get fat from slin, you need to cycle off, if not than there isnt need to. This idea, 12 weeks with it than x amount off is flawed, run it until your fat. Can you run an effective lantus dose without getting fat, I have no clue.
3) is there a difference between DM2 and BB using insulin? Of course, is it a big difference? No and there's not much difference in clinical doses vs bodybuilding doses. I've seen big boys with lantus doses of 80ius for extended periods of time without desensitization because body comp was held constant.

I enjoyed the IR write up bc ppl need to read that and understand what their asking when they constantly say "my FBG is 120 am I gonna die?'

Also while I'm at it, insulin use for a non-diabetic doesn't shut down the pancreas during lantus or any analogue.

I understand what you're saying IL, but i mentioned before that I use R or log for LONG periods of time with regular fasted BG levels no loss in sensitivity. Soon as I throw LANTUS in there for awhile, where you're right, I get beta cell desensitization, loss of body comp starts to suffer. The fullll day of exo release as a DM2 or BBer, at least to me, has shown a ton anecdotal evidence that it just messes you up after awhile. This isn't a "just me" thing. It's a "every BBer I know" says, "oh fuck, time to hop off" type thing. The short stuff i feel like one can run indefinitely. The longer, nope. Thats just from BBer experience.

Does it work and does is the IGF binding affinity better in Lantus, yep. I'll do it again. But i'll do it in defined spurts.

Luki, i liked the results and thought it threw on some much needed tissue. Do I think it's a gamechanger? Not really.
This past offseason push i just ran R and some log and passes my previous weight with better body comp. I think you should give it a go though, just to see if you like it.

I understand what you're saying IL, but i mentioned before that I use R or log for LONG periods of time with regular fasted BG levels no loss in sensitivity. Soon as I throw LANTUS in there for awhile, where you're right, I get beta cell desensitization, loss of body comp starts to suffer. The fullll day of exo release as a DM2 or BBer, at least to me, has shown a ton anecdotal evidence that it just messes you up after awhile. This isn't a "just me" thing. It's a "every BBer I know" says, "oh fuck, time to hop off" type thing. The short stuff i feel like one can run indefinitely. The longer, nope. Thats just from BBer experience.

Does it work and does is the IGF binding affinity better in Lantus, yep. I'll do it again. But i'll do it in defined spurts.

Luki, i liked the results and thought it threw on some much needed tissue. Do I think it's a gamechanger? Not really.
This past offseason push i just ran R and some log and passes my previous weight with better body comp. I think you should give it a go though, just to see if you like it.

Just curious, how did you run R and log this past off-season?

Mike Arnold, you say exogenous insulin use is a last ditch effort to control BG in Type II.
This may be true. However, I recall a few years ago I remember reading that some in the medical community were talking about using it much earlier or foregoing the oral meds altogether and this protecting the body. Do you know how this debate has progressed and is there a some type of concensus nowadays wrt to the approach to Type II?

Here is an example of the type of stuff I read a long time ago.

A couple of quotes:

Multifaceted benefit of insulin
Aside from glycemic control, insulin treatment can potentially provide additional benefits. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects of insulin may contribute to protection against endothelial dysfunction and vascular disease. These effects include suppression of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and adhesion molecule expression.1517 Insulin has also been demonstrated to induce endothelial nitric oxide synthase expression in endothelial cells, causing vascular dilatation due to increased production of nitric oxide.1517

In general, T2DM is associated with progressive deterioration of β-cell mass and function, and one of the key goals of therapy is to preserve β-cells. Factors that are thought to promote β-cell loss include insulin resistance, glucotoxicity and lipotoxicity, inflammation, and obesity. It has been known for nearly 40 years that insulin therapy improves β-cell function as determined by an enhanced insulin response to glucose.18 This was first demonstrated in a small study of seven insulin-naive individuals with T2DM. In their analysis, Turner et al.18 described the vicious circle evident in diabetes, in which defective β-cells lead to hyperglycemia, which subsequently stresses β-cell function further. The authors postulated that overcoming glucotoxicity through insulin use facilitates “β-cell rest,” which in turn allows a store of readily available endogenous insulin to be accumulated for early release to a nutrient challenge, resulting in improvement in β-cell function.

Using intensive insulin therapy and reducing hyperglycemia enhanced insulin secretion (predominantly second phase) and improved insulin sensitivity.22

On Lantus which increases weight more than other insulins:

"As in the aforementioned INSIGHT trial, a low rate of hypoglycemia and a modest increase in weight were observed with the use of insulin glargine. It is interesting that despite this weight gain (which is a known risk factor for diabetes), those people with prediabetes treated with insulin were 28% less likely to develop diabetes from the time of randomization until the first oral glucose tolerance test than those assigned to standard care "

So in certain scenarios insulin use can actually improve insulin sensitivity.

I really don't want to go back and forth, you both really missed the mark with the point im trying to get across.
1) All forms of insulin can be ran in a vacuum without a loss of effect, the inverse is also true all forms of insulin can cause beta cell desensitization.
2) You can rely on anecdote all you want but anyone that says x amount of insulin should be cycled for y amount of time is misinformed. It was common belief for how long that running log for more than three months could lead to DM2, so you have to excuse my lack of belief in common anecdote.
3) Your increase in fasted blood glucose under these circumstances isn't a catch all be all sign for IR.
4) Is there practical application of lantus in a PED setting that doesn't involve extreme weight gain? Like I said all three times, who knows.

I really don't want to go back and forth, you both really missed the mark with the point im trying to get across.
1) All forms of insulin can be ran in a vacuum without a loss of effect, the inverse is also true all forms of insulin can cause beta cell desensitization.
2) You can rely on anecdote all you want but anyone that says x amount of insulin should be cycled for y amount of time is misinformed. It was common belief for how long that running log for more than three months could lead to DM2, so you have to excuse my lack of belief in common anecdote.
3) Your increase in fasted blood glucose under these circumstances isn't a catch all be all sign for IR.
4) Is there practical application of lantus in a PED setting that doesn't involve extreme weight gain? Like I said all three times, who knows.
You can rely on your anecdotal evidence as a nurse for fat and old (pre-)diabetes patients all you want but you still don't know what you are talking about.

Even if there was something to learn from those patients, you as a nurse are not qualified to do so. You lack both the education and some IQ points to draw the correct inference. To hear the anecdotal experience of bodybuilders (especially if they go by blood work and not just subjective experience) definitely has value. Even better is to hear from one of the leading experts on PEDs (aka Mike Arnold) right in this thread. Very few people will have accumulated more anecdotal evidence (from himself and others) than him, and he has actually read the many research studies on this topic, which are quite clear.

I mean really, "insulin can cause beta cell desensitization"?! How does that even make sense, you don't even understand the most basic concepts yet you pretend to be an expert and give retarded medical advice. An actual expert in the field contradicts you and you don't even consider that you may be wrong? You are a prime example of the Dunning–Kruger effect. Try to find yourself on the following chart:

1024px-Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_Effect_01.svg.png

and he has actually read the many research studies on this topic, which are quite clear.

Wow jeff, nurses are stupid, nice one. I'll come back once i'm done with PA school and maybe I can prove myself to your superior intellect....
I myself am working my way up to enlightenment which is why we have these conversations and why I was vague and make generalizations for a process that is anything BUT clear. From my knowledge the only disagreement being had is if IR is unavoidable on glargine which I stated I disagree with. If you would like to contribute (for once) i'm by all ears.

MyNameIsJeff, what do you think of Milos Sarcev and his level of knowledge when it comes to insulin? Few probably have his level of in-the-field experience with insulin. I personally don't think he is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to science but he does have lots of experience. Chad Nicholls thinks insulin stops working very very fast whereas Milos thinks it's still working after nearly 30 years :D

Wow jeff, nurses are stupid, nice one. I'll come back once i'm done with PA school and maybe I can prove myself to your superior intellect....
I myself am working my way up to enlightenment which is why we have these conversations and why I was vague and make generalizations for a process that is anything BUT clear. From my knowledge the only disagreement being had is if IR is unavoidable on glargine which I stated I disagree with. If you would like to contribute (for once) i'm by all ears.

i feel like you’re missing the point. No one has said “____ iu for _____ weeks will make you insulin resistance.” Not one person said that. Basically everyone here has said log and R can be run indefinitely. Maybe you aren’t reading the replies here. WE are saying that Lantus acts differently and can’t be lumped into that group. Why do you do a trial run for us and tell us how it goes? Then you’ll have answer.

This is a cluster fuck, I throw in the white towel.

Why do you do a trial run for us and tell us how it goes? Then you’ll have answer.

I'm curious how you determined Lantus made you insulin resistant? I'm not saying it can't or won't, just interested in how this is measured. Did you have elevated BG after getting off? If so, I could see where that could happen without sensitivity going down per se.

Never ran lantus so sorry for not having any input but the nursing comment was very uncalled for.

I'm curious how you determined Lantus made you insulin resistant? I'm not saying it can't or won't, just interested in how this is measured. Did you have elevated BG after getting off? If so, I could see where that could happen without sensitivity going down per se.

Well my lantus dose was progressively rising higher and higher. And so was my fasted BG levels. I was still taking berberine during the day and before bed to help offset this. Pumps started to realllly dimish, very noticeable. Always thirsty yet urinating frequently. Blood pressure was rising too.

i ran it for 28 weeks-ish. Monitoring my BG the entire time. The only reason I stopped was because I’m starting a slow cut.

Did you run it pre and post-workout ONLY or also with other meals?

Well my lantus dose was progressively rising higher and higher. And so was my fasted BG levels. I was still taking berberine during the day and before bed to help offset this. Pumps started to realllly dimish, very noticeable. Always thirsty yet urinating frequently. Blood pressure was rising too.

That's interesting. Don't know what's going on there. I guess it's not doing its job in the liver? That's the main way insulin does its job of regulating BG if I understand correctly, it's not mainly that it makes the muscles absorb glucose.
**broken link removed**
"The use of tracer glucose infusions has shown not only that hyperglycaemia in the face of insulin deficiency is the result of over-production of glucose by the liver but also that insulin infusion lowers blood glucose by inhibiting hepatic glucose production. Indeed, rather than stimulating glucose uptake in tissues such as muscle, insulin in fact reduces glucose uptake. This is because the main factor driving glucose uptake is the ‘mass action’ effect of hyperglycaemia and the concentration gradient between the extracellular and intracellular glucose concentrations. Glucose transporters are not rate limiting under these conditions, even in the face of severe insulin deficiency."

Now, this may all be wrong and contested by others', I don't know. But your elevated BG may not have to do with insulin resistance in the muscles. Hopefully there's someone here wjo really knows what they are talking about and can set the record straight.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
scrawl
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws