over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Philosophy that has helped along the Journey

UsmcOldSchoolMuscle

Registered
I wanted to create a thread focused on philosophy, quotes, therapy or anything of note that we’ve found helpful in dealing with stress and that has increased the quality of our lives. Please feel free to leave simple statements, share quotes, post videos along that helps convey your message.

Obviously I am a veteran. As an Infantry Marine I served in Iraq and earned my Combat Action Ribbon the good old fashioned way. Some of the ways that I had adapted in order to excel in combat did not translate well to the life after war, go figure right.
Through all the various forms of therapy, which all helped to varying degrees, what I found most helpful and most impactful was a shift of mind. This change was brought on primarily through philosophy. I am most fond of Taoism and Stoicism and I find many similarities between the two.

I will start the thread off my leaving a quick video which introduces Stoicism as well as an a introduction to one of the most prominent Stoic Philosophers, and whom is seek wisdom from more so than any other Stoic, Epictetus. Epictetus lived as a slave in the Roman Empire. Like Andy Dufresne, Epictetus understood the power of the mind. He understood that we as individuals can possess inner peace even if we are faced with bleak or even terrible circumstances. By first understanding that there are circumstances in which we are directly in control of but in most cases things are out of our control. By learning to accept the latter and embracing the role that we find ourselves in. Seeking purpose in everything that we give our energy towards.

My hope is that this thread becomes a comfort and an outlet that one can turn to in the darker times. Rather than giving advice we can share the wisdom of philosophers and prominent figures in history that we believe will help.

You can learn a lot from the Stoics. Epictetus in #1 in the Enchiridion speaks of knowing what you can control and what you cannot. If you focus on that distinction, you can ease a significant amount of frustration. Seneca and Marcus Aurelius are gold as well, but for the most bang for the buck, the Enchiridion or Handbook is gold. But to really manifest what the Stoics taught, especially with Epictetus, you need take a passage a day and reflect on it all day consciously. How does this impact my life? Am I letting appearances get the better of me? What has my conception brought to this moment? Does it need to be corrected?

Most people don't do that with Stoics. But historically, Stoicism was a way of life, not just a philosophy. You lived it. And to live it, it has to be integrated into all that you do.

More than you probably wanted, but I teach Stoicism every semester. I've seen it positively impact students, especially those who struggle with anger and frustration.

You can learn a lot from the Stoics. Epictetus in #1 in the Enchiridion speaks of knowing what you can control and what you cannot. If you focus on that distinction, you can ease a significant amount of frustration. Seneca and Marcus Aurelius are gold as well, but for the most bang for the buck, the Enchiridion or Handbook is gold. But to really manifest what the Stoics taught, especially with Epictetus, you need take a passage a day and reflect on it all day consciously. How does this impact my life? Am I letting appearances get the better of me? What has my conception brought to this moment? Does it need to be corrected?

Most people don't do that with Stoics. But historically, Stoicism was a way of life, not just a philosophy. You lived it. And to live it, it has to be integrated into all that you do.

More than you probably wanted, but I teach Stoicism every semester. I've seen it positively impact students, especially those who struggle with anger and frustration.
Great stuff Raspberrypie.

After about 7 years after separating for the Marine Corps I started to really shut down. All the hypervigilance, sleepless nights, survivors remorse and so on really took its toll. The vast majority of therapies that I had undertaken were influenced by Stoicism and Zen Buddhism.

I personally appreciate the service that you provide to your students. You are carrying on the legacy of the Stoics.

This right here caught my eye. This is so true in so many different ways and soooo many people miss. Whether PTSD, spirituality, archery, or billiards. These require discipline. Ever wonder why someone says they "practice" Buddhism, or "practice" meditation for anxiety reduction? Or any one of a million things that require practice. When we embark on a new endeavor, do we just go out and do it? If when I summit Ranier, hopefully this winter, am I just going to grab a coat and ice axe(s) and head up the volcano? Hell no.

Learning to calm your mind is something you practice. Experienced individuals can raise or lower their heart rate at will. Many of the things we take pills and elixirs for today could be solved through sheer discipline. But as with any discipline, it requires practice. Guided practice with a quack like myself is best, which is to say it has the highest degree of success. I gave a large chunk of my life to helping people but I'm out of that now. We tend to take on some damage as we get used as the cerebral punching bags that we are.

I will try to add a few gems to this thread this weekend. In the meantime, let's not go OT on this thread. I'll sticky the thread up top if we get some insightful and civil responses.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
chevy66
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131