mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is there a disconnect between Gen Z gym-goers and older generations in the gym?

It’s like herds of young college age, kids that are completely clueless, even though they have access to so much information. But you can’t tell them anything because they think they know what they’re doing.

Social media and the Internet can be great, but it also can be dumb as hell.
that’s exactly why I’m here. I’ve been passively scrolling for the past few months on the forum and it’s made me realize I don’t know as much as I think I do

Every generation likes to think they are different. They all think they have the newest smartest ideas and the best music. But it is just a cycle we go through. As i get older i get more comfortable with my insecurities. And realize that i don't have the biggest dick. But as long as i am happy with it that is all that matters. In my youth i would say i didn't care what others thought. But my actions showed different. And now i would like everyone to think i am cool and the smartest guy around. But i just don't have the ambition to go that direction. When i was young the older guys would say consistency with training big, eating big and sleeping big is what worked. Which i did as i searched for the latest greatest thing that would make me grow over night. I doubt human nature has changed much in the last 1000 years. Just the technology has.

Your outdoor gym puts mine to shame, but I do have the physics of the moving shrug machine nailed. Looks like you live out in the middle of the woods like me. Where are you at geographically?

As for generational differences, it is not just the gym. I am 58 and my personality has changed a lot since I was 24 due to world and life experiences, hardships, wins, blessings, losses, etc. If you met 24 year old me you'd think I was a total asshole focused only on what was good for me.....and I was. If you met me today you'd think I was a kind hearted and compassionate and selfless human being focused on bettering everyone and the world around me. Which I am. Not saying all 24 year olds are assholes, just saying some of what you encounter as approachable, altruistic, sharing in older people is learned behavior taught to us by life itself.

As for your gym, your attitude and your physique- well done!

Attachments

• IMG_2785.jpg
    IMG_2785.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2793.jpg
    IMG_2793.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 18
It's different in some ways but as with most of history, it may not repeat but does rhyme (similar but different). One thing with young generations is that lots of them workout...they will cull down over time with school, work, career, other interests etc. Older guys you see are the ones who stayed with it and that's generally of a certain ilk/mold and regardless of generation or even purpose there exists a shared passion. That's what binds a lot of us and makes us want to do well and happy when others do well.

BTW that's an amazing setup you built. Turning a negative to a positive and finding a way to get it done. Didn't just sit on the couch and stuff your face, but acknowledged limits, made the best and found a way overcome and stay in the game. Great pictures and great memory to have. It's a journey and you'll always remember that part. Show your kids someday too.

Your outdoor gym puts mine to shame, but I do have the physics of the moving shrug machine nailed. Looks like you live out in the middle of the woods like me. Where are you at geographically?

As for your gym, your attitude and your physique- well done!
At the time I was living in central Ohio, me and my brother bought a complete renovation project for dirt cheap with 20 acres included. Now I go between there and Cleveland area(mostly Cleveland area)

And thank you!

View attachment 196405View attachment 196406View attachment 196407Wasn’t the most ideal, but it was super cool making everything from scratch
hell ya homeboy viking shit, youre 24, make all the right choices now bud. I was your age when I was on this forum also and I remember what I was doing. Best wishes and you are correct in your original post about your observations that's reality , I found a few SERIOUS highschoolers that are cooler than fuck that plug me for info and it makes me feel elated, the majority of their classmates that go there fuck around and play grab ass and slam stuff and scream like girls. then you got the FEW serious kids, like yourself, that guys like I will take under our wing if you prove eligible, and can catapult you years ahead In a short time safely. I am very smart with health and fitness etc but I still learn from guys who are my age and sometimes younger @slesh @danieltx @luki7788 @bbxtreme are all wise beyond their years . Dr Jordan peterson said this : Treat everyone you meet like there is something they can teach you, because when you do, you open up a VISTA of knowledge. there is humility in learning. I consider @A50# @OuchThatHurts @VICON my superiors and elders and when I need advice I ask them. We are a tight community here brother and take pride in it.

hell ya homeboy viking shit, youre 24, make all the right choices now bud. I was your age when I was on this forum also and I remember what I was doing. Best wishes and you are correct in your original post about your observations that's reality , I found a few SERIOUS highschoolers that are cooler than fuck that plug me for info and it makes me feel elated, the majority of their classmates that go there fuck around and play grab ass and slam stuff and scream like girls. then you got the FEW serious kids, like yourself, that guys like I will take under our wing if you prove eligible, and can catapult you years ahead In a short time safely. I am very smart with health and fitness etc but I still learn from guys who are my age and sometimes younger @slesh @danieltx @luki7788 @bbxtreme are all wise beyond their years . Dr Jordan peterson said this : Treat everyone you meet like there is something they can teach you, because when you do, you open up a VISTA of knowledge. there is humility in learning. I consider @A50# @OuchThatHurts @VICON my superiors and elders and when I need advice I ask them. We are a tight community here brother and take pride in it.
Rule #3, stick with people who want the best for you. That’s why I’m here, to learn from guys who have experience with health/fitness. Definitely looking forward to interacting with you and everyone else on here. I’ve spent the past few months just watching and thinking to myself “holy shit this is a goldmine of valuable information”

To start, I’m 24 years old so I’m gonna make the assumption that I am one of the younger individuals on this forum. I’ve been working out for 10 years now and most of my experience within the gym was learned from MUCH more experienced gym members, strength coaches from playing hs/college football, and watching YouTube (EliteFTS, IFBB pros, etc).

Something that I’ve always noticed early on is that there’s always been people at whatever gym I workout at that are super friendly or helpful but they are usually +30 in age. I have 3 training partners (1 everyday, 1 a few times a year, and 1 only over the summer because he’s in college out of state) who are all relatively the same age as me but we’ve known each other for years. I’ve always found it funny interacting with people my age or younger in the gym. It usually turns into a dick measuring contest… I’ve had people tell me my physique/lifts don’t count because I take steroids (I’m open about my use if asked). Once I had a kid curse me out because I wouldn’t tell him where to buy gear(personally I think it’s a right of passage to find it yourself, which isn’t very hard). It’s almost like in my generation people are competing against each other to look better than the guy next to them. Obviously not everyone is like that but it is becoming a theme as I’ve become more experienced.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, it’s always the older guys (by old I just mean above my age range) at my gym that are the first people to congratulate you on a big lift, compliment you, etc. I’ve also learned a lot just from taking lil pointers here and there. This question is aimed more at the individuals on this forum who have made the gym apart of their lifestyle and have years of experience but do you ever feel like the gym culture you grew up in is completely different then the gym culture younger generations are experiencing? If so what are the things you like or dislike?
I am also one of the younger users here. One of the biggest differences I see between us and the older generation is it’s very rare I come across others in our age group that are interested in/training for actual bodybuilding. There are LOTS of other incentives to train these days (social media) so it’s very rare I’m able to talk actual bodybuilding with someone my age… especially open. Some seem to follow classic a bit.

I am also one of the younger users here. One of the biggest differences I see between us and the older generation is it’s very rare I come across others in our age group that are interested in/training for actual bodybuilding. There are LOTS of other incentives to train these days (social media) so it’s very rare I’m able to talk actual bodybuilding with someone my age… especially open. Some seem to follow classic a bit.
I don’t think I personally know a single person our age who DOESNT say they wanna compete classic

I don’t think I personally know a single person our age who DOESNT say they wanna compete classic
In my opinion, most likely has to do with social media, the reigning open Mr.Olympia has 1.3m followers on insta while the second place classic Mr.Olympia has 5.8m, that’s just absurd but classic visibility is so much higher/wanted in comparison to Open on social media

Rule #3, stick with people who want the best for you. That’s why I’m here, to learn from guys who have experience with health/fitness. Definitely looking forward to interacting with you and everyone else on here. I’ve spent the past few months just watching and thinking to myself “holy shit this is a goldmine of valuable information”
I've said it before and I'll keep saying it forever - much of the knowledge that helped me become such a good bodybuilder I got from the 20+ years of archives here on Professional Muscle.

I'm feeling nice at the moment so here are links to the profiles of some of our most legendary members - I've read literally every post these guys made:

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it forever - much of the knowledge that helped me become such a good bodybuilder I got from the 20+ years of archives here on Professional Muscle.

I'm feeling nice at the moment so here are links to the profiles of some of our most legendary members - I've read literally every post these guys made:
Thank you, I’ll have to give these all a read. Very familiar with Meadows and Vis but not the other two

Thank you, I’ll have to give these all a read. Very familiar with Meadows and Vis but not the other two

You sir….epic outdoor gym.

I am sure you would fit right in at my old garage gym in the sticks.

Matt left us for a better place much too early.

And Dante….Dante is the ghost. He’s always around, watching, in and out of the shadows.
And when the absurdity of training talk and drug dose to bring up size….he will post a 14 plate 40 rep rest pause set on leg press and a 4,500 calorie diet to remind us of the basics on how to build monsters. (Which he was known for)

It’s all perspective. You can’t appreciate something until you’ve gone through the work or gotten to the other side. @danieltx hit it dead on the head.

I’m 35 now so I sit right in the middle of the spectrum. I see both sides, but just as I’ve learned most of those younger guys you train with now won’t be in a gym 5-10 years from now. They’re chasing a temporary thing. The older guys have been in the trenches and know this is a lifestyle.
They won’t be there in 5 years yet the gym crowd skews to younger side. Kinda sad how fickle people are with training. I go to several gyms through out the week and it’s definitely early 20’s crowd at all of them past 9am.

When the veterans here were young, I assure you that those interested in pure bodybuilding were also a small group among all, I mean, those who bought and read magazines and watched the few Olympia videos they could get their hands on, there were never too many. Everyone wanted to look stronger and bigger, but very few were inspired by competing or the competitors.

The difference is that now these young kids have acquired presence and don't respect the big boys. They don't understand the implicit hierarchies.

When the veterans here were young, I assure you that those interested in pure bodybuilding were also a small group among all, I mean, those who bought and read magazines and watched the few Olympia videos they could get their hands on, there were never too many. Everyone wanted to look stronger and bigger, but very few were inspired by competing or the competitors.

The difference is that now these young kids have acquired presence and don't respect the big boys. They don't understand the implicit hierarchies.
excellent perspective

It’s all perspective. You can’t appreciate something until you’ve gone through the work or gotten to the other side. @danieltx hit it dead on the head.

I’m 35 now so I sit right in the middle of the spectrum. I see both sides, but just as I’ve learned most of those younger guys you train with now won’t be in a gym 5-10 years from now. They’re chasing a temporary thing. The older guys have been in the trenches and know this is a lifestyle.
I am 36 i will be 37 this year, right there with you player - salute! take me back to when I was 19 and found this board plz HEAVENLY FATHER HGH lol

Impressive thread. lots of wisdom. You all leave me no lines. All the good ones taken. A few superficial things I have noticed.

1. Very few people will work in or share a station.
2. Seemingly a lot of guys are on PEDs right away.
3. Lots of selfies taken.
4. Tripods up and filming.

Compared to 80s and 90s, out in public, people seem softer, less muscle, less trained, fewer athletes. In the 80s and 90s, where I was from, every 5th guys was into some form of martial arts. Today not so much. Back then, more men had labor intensive jobs. Today there are more techies. Today more people are informed because of cell phone and computer tech. People in general are subjected to more marketing than back then. Attitudes and beliefs seem more molded by what's on the screen than what happens in the feet on ground world. On a bright side, it seems more people are in the gym.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
sharkygear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws