mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

ARB's (ex: Telmisartan) + SGLT2 (ex: Empagliflozin/Jardiance) are god's gift to bodybuilders

I asked because I had never heard of potassium being an issue with telmisartan until one of the info collectors here brought it up. I've been on telmisartan since 2018, consume tons of potassium (I know this because I track it in MyFitnessPal), and I've never had an issue - nor have I heard of or seen anyone having an issue.

We have to stop fearmongering with things that could possibly happen to 1% of users because we're likely scaring away people who need to be taking this medicine.
Can telemarsan cause to much potassium, yes. But we drink a gallon or more water a day and sweat a lot. I doubt it's even an issue for us. I don't go out of my way to supplement K (ill eat a banna or Avocado if cramps come on from working hard in the heat) but I don't avoid it. My blood work always comes back in range.

I’m not sure what he’s using to determine that. Is he getting a Cystatin C?

In any case, not moving is better than getting worse. Who’s to say it wouldn’t have been worse had he not done that?
He didn’t have any kidney issues before starting. My point was that using the SGLT2 inhibitor has had no negative effect on his kidneys

He’s purely going on blood test results. His gp is happy enough

He didn’t have any kidney issues before starting. My point was that using the SGLT2 inhibitor has had no negative effect on his kidneys

He’s purely going on blood test results. His gp is happy enough
ok I misread you. Thought you meant he had poor kidneys to begin with.

SGLT2 vs Metformin

“Compared with 1928 patients receiving metformin‐based regimens, 964 patients receiving SGLT2 inhibitor‐based regimens had similar all‐cause mortality (hazard ratio, 0.75 [95% CI, 0.51–1.12]), cardiovascular death (HR, 0.69 [95% CI, 0.25–1.89]), hospitalization for heart failure (HR, 1.06 [95% CI, 0.59–1.92]), stroke (HR, 0.78 [95% CI, 0.48–1.27]), and progression to end‐stage renal disease (HR, 0.88 [95% CI, 0.32–2.39]). However, SGLT2 inhibitors were associated with a lower risk of all‐cause mortality (HR, 0.47 [95% CI, 0.23–0.99]; P for interaction=0.008) and progression to end‐stage renal disease (HR, 0.22 [95% CI, 0.06–0.82]; P for interaction=0.04) in patients under the age of 65.
In comparison to metformin‐based regimens, SGLT2 inhibitor‐based regimens showed a similar risk of all‐cause mortality and adverse cardiorenal events. SGLT2 inhibitors might be considered as first‐line therapy in select low‐risk patients, for example, younger patients with diabetes.”

Benefits known. For me it's just a question of whether to use preventively without problems or not.... I have great blood all the time, only slightly higher hemoglobin and HTC, but kidneys and blood sugar are always perfect.

The only thing that bothers me is heart hypertrophy and EF 55%. But HR and blood pressure under control. For this reason I am thinking about Jardience, but I don't know if it's a good idea to include it.

I am currently using
60mg Telmisartan
5mg Nebivolol

Benefits known. For me it's just a question of whether to use preventively without problems or not.... I have great blood all the time, only slightly higher hemoglobin and HTC, but kidneys and blood sugar are always perfect.

The only thing that bothers me is heart hypertrophy and EF 55%. But HR and blood pressure under control. For this reason I am thinking about Jardience, but I don't know if it's a good idea to include it.

I am currently using
60mg Telmisartan
5mg Nebivolol

Well, this was my concern in this previous thread where I went back and forth with nothuman, we had a meaningful debate.

Also, why are you worried about EF @ 55%? it's always changing.

BTW - are you prescribed the two meds above, or self administering?

Well, this was my concern in this previous thread where I went back and forth with nothuman, we had a meaningful debate.

Also, why are you worried about EF @ 55%? it's always changing.

BTW - are you prescribed the two meds above, or self administering?
yes EF is fine but borderline according to doctor and I don't want it to get worse. I feel fine, I rather think about the future.

I started the medication myself but now my cardiologist agrees with it.

btw my EF 55% was after AS + GH cycle so worst case scenario lol.

I am currently using
60mg Telmisartan
5mg Nebivolol
Totally understand where you’re coming from. I’m getting my annual echocardiogram in two weeks, but as of last year, my EF is 60% but I also have mild heart hypertrophy. I am on 40mg Telmisartan and 5mg Nebivolol as well, with 10mg Jardiance (which my cardiologist agreed to prescribe for me when I told him I was already taking it).

…. Any reason you don’t just increase your sodium intake?
I do, currently between 4-5g/day depending on the day. Pulled labs on friday so we will see. My point was if I have to ALREADY add salt to everything, including homemade salt caps, then there is no way FOR ME, taking anything that would further increase my need would be of value to me.

I do, currently between 4-5g/day depending on the day.
If it’s low, INCREASE. Not just consume. If fluid intake is high and you are very active 4-5g may not be enough.

I’m not sure why you’re needing salt caps to hit 4-5g a day. That’s not an extraordinary amount for an athlete.

If it’s low, INCREASE. Not just consume. If fluid intake is high and you are very active 4-5g may not be enough.

I’m not sure why you’re needing salt caps to hit 4-5g a day. That’s not an extraordinary amount for an athlete.
I'm not a moron. 4-5g of sodium is roughly 15,000mg of salt, its not a small amount. I only eat once or twice a day at the moment. I make everything from scratch so I add salt and you can only add so much salt before your meal becomes trash. On days I am still objectively low, despite my food intake, electrolyte drinks, I will occasionally add some salt caps. I have been "in range" for the last two years on my labs for sodium, it was low and I corrected it.

I have been slowly titrating up to get to midrange, which we will see where the most recent increase lands us as soon as my results come in from friday.

You could be doing harm here by saying SGLT2’s are bad for kidneys. There are people here who think of you as an authority figure but they will really hurt themselves if they’re concerned about their kidneys and they decide NOT to take Jardiance or another SGLT2. You would be doing a service to yourself and the bodybuilding community if you issued a correction. It would also show a sign of strength on your part for being humble enough to do so.

This is straight from the national kidney foundation’s web site

“SGLT2 inhibitors are effective at slowing the progression of kidney disease, reducing heart failure, and lowering the risk of kidney failure and death in people with CKD and type 2 diabetes. SGLT2 inhibitors also protect the kidneys in people with CKD who do not have diabetes”

As for hypotension and increased LDL: Again, rare side effects and very minor effects
No, I don't think so. I think people who call them God's gift to bodybuilders and present them as risk-free are, though.

So when your BP isn´t above 120/80, you wouldn´t add telmisartan for the potential other benefits?
See the link above. BP above 120/80 doesn't indicate for ARB/ACE inhibitors, but the point at which BP does call for these drugs is given. So, no, I'd never take any of these drugs < 120/80 for scant benefits, since there basically aren't any relevant in man.

Could you go into detail on this?

Uh… do you think I’m someone else?

I haven’t said for anyone to or to not take ARBs or SGLT2 inhibitors

Edit: I see you tagged someone else in reply too, so I assume you mean nothuman? Apologies.

I’m curious to see how you connect the dots to show an ARB decreases hypertrophy. After this I have an idea of where you’re going with the argument.

However, the basis for that would be a second hand hypothesis or a theory unless there is a direct study showing this, which there is not to my knowledge. The opposite actually as it was directly tested in elderly patients and found to have no benefit one way or another.

Source:

Even if there as a direct impact on hypertrophy from using an ARB, the data on the pro’s would out weigh the con’s. I.e. if there was a 2% decrease in hypertrophy would you ever see or notice it? No. But would you have a healthier bodybuilder resulting in more muscle mass overall given all the benefits? Absolutely.

I could on and I respect your dedication to research, but the last thing we want to be doing in bodybuilding is steering people away from beneficial medications who need them due to second or third hand hypotheses.

Better said- if you’re coaching a national level competitor who’s maxing out their weight, gear, etc. Surely you would not forgo the use of an ARB over this.

Just my opinion and thoughts on it all as sometimes we can lose ourselves in the research and forget real life application.

Does the diminishment of hypertrophy from ARBs have any statistical significance in a bodybuilder who's using multiple AAS, GH, etc.?

Your questions will be answered in the time & manner of my choosing because as I wrote:

I'm really glad you asked because it's a kick in my hole to finish the article I've been writing about this.

I hope you'll forgive me for holding these cards a bit close to my chest, since this is a novel topic for the bodybuilding community, and I intend to write about this topic for financial remuneration...

Your questions will be answered in the time & manner of my choosing because as I wrote:
Fair enough. I respect anyone trying get paid for what they're good at and am always open to learning new research and seeing validated studies.

Just don't go turning into the next VB on us. 😎 LOL

See the link above. BP above 120/80 doesn't indicate for ARB/ACE inhibitors, but the point at which BP does call for these drugs is given. So, no, I'd never take any of these drugs < 120/80 for scant benefits, since there basically aren't any relevant in man.

This was my paramount of concern, taking telmisartan just as is for a preventative measure even if BP is in acceptable range.

Fair enough. I respect anyone trying get paid for what they're good at and am always open to learning new research and seeing validated studies.

Just don't go turning into the next VB on us. 😎 LOL
Hahah I almost asked who VB was until I recognized the reference. No, bro. No paywalls or basic cowardice.

You can’t only be data driven when it fits your bias. Otherwise, you’d present counter data, wouldn’t you?

If you can’t admit you’re wrong about this or present counter evidence why they aren’t god’s gift to bodybuilders, then maybe stick to the other topics you know about.

Strongly worded passive aggressive messages aren’t convincing enough.

Higher than 120/80 is grade 1 hypertension, so yes it should necessitate Telmisartan if lifestyle changes can’t bring it down.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackplace
NapsGear