over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Astragalus IN DEPTH

Justin Harris brand has this

Yo carnal I'm start at 4g divided through out the day. Is that good a good dose?
Yes, for both taurine and astragalus in my experiences

I’ve had good results with Double Wood in the past albeit with different supplements than Astragalus. Do you have any experience and thoughts on the brand?
ive used double wood a ton, im also not balling like everyone else here post incarceration so I buy brands based on diligent research and plentiful reviews, doublewoood has never done me dirty! jarrrow, swanson all ok. piping rock is ok also

I took the plunge and began this @ 1 cap twice/day.

eGFR and CystatinC are just “ok” at best so hoping to see some improvement.

It’s only been a week so too early to retest. Will probably give it 60 days.

Just an update

~40 days in = zero improvement per Cystatin or eGFR and I’m taking 2 capsules per day (1 @ 6-8 hours apart).

Disappointed.

Just an update

~40 days in = zero improvement per Cystatin or eGFR and I’m taking 2 capsules per day (1 @ 6-8 hours apart).

Disappointed.
Third time I'm saying this in two pages of this thread but seem like it needs to be said again.

@DOGGCRAPP has always recommended The Vitamin Shoppe's astragalus dosed at 3,000mg+ per day - that's what has consistently shown improved numbers on blood work.

Just an update

Disappointed.
Not nearly enough. I take between 3-4 grams between blasting and cruising. My numbers are 88-98 depending on dose. My normal egfr is 60. There are some individuals here who have gone up to 7 grams.

Just an update

Disappointed.

You're taking 100mg per day and everyone here is suggesting 3000-5000mg per day.

The powers behind its phytochemical beneficial activity.

"Astragalus contains various antioxidants, polyphenols, lignans, and flavonoids, each with its own potential health benefits. While specific compounds can vary depending on the part of the plant and the extraction method, here are some common antioxidants and polyphenols found in astragalus and their potential benefits:

Antioxidants:

1. Flavonoids: Astragalus contains flavonoids such as quercetin, kaempferol, and isorhamnetin, which have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. They can help protect cells from damage caused by free radicals and reduce inflammation in the body.
  2. Saponins: Astragalus contains saponins, such as astragalosides, which have antioxidant properties and may help protect against oxidative stress.
  3. Polysaccharides: Astragalus polysaccharides have antioxidant effects and may help enhance the immune system and reduce inflammation.
  4. Astragaloside IV: This compound is a potent antioxidant and has been studied for its potential anti-aging effects and its ability to protect against cardiovascular disease.
Polyphenols:

1. Isoflavones: Astragalus contains isoflavones such as formononetin and calycosin, which have estrogenic effects and may help improve cardiovascular health.
  2. Phenolic acids: Astragalus contains phenolic acids such as ferulic acid and caffeic acid, which have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. They may help protect against chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
  3. Lignans: While lignans are not as well-studied in astragalus, they are a group of polyphenols found in many plants. They have antioxidant and estrogenic effects and may help reduce the risk of certain cancers and cardiovascular disease.
Flavonoids:

1. Quercetin: Quercetin is a flavonoid with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It may help reduce inflammation, improve heart health, and protect against certain cancers.
  2. Kaempferol: Kaempferol is another flavonoid with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. It may help protect against chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer.
  3. Isorhamnetin: Isorhamnetin is a flavonoid with antioxidant properties. It may help protect against oxidative stress and inflammation.
These antioxidants, polyphenols, lignans, and flavonoids in astragalus may work together to provide various health benefits, including antioxidant protection, anti-inflammatory effects, immune support, and cardiovascular protection."
Great post, thank you

You're taking 100mg per day and everyone here is suggesting 3000-5000mg per day.
He's talking about Astragaloside IV, not astragalus extract which is what's typically referenced when talking about supplementing astragalus.

"Astragaloside IV (AS-IV), one of the major compounds from the aqueous extract of Astragalus membranaceus, is a cycloartane-type triterpene glycoside chemical. To date, many studies in cellular and animal models have demonstrated that AS-IV possesses potent protective effects in cardiovascular, lung, kidney and brain."

He's talking about Astragaloside IV, not astragalus extract which is what's typically referenced when talking about supplementing astragalus.

"Astragaloside IV (AS-IV), one of the major compounds from the aqueous extract of Astragalus membranaceus, is a cycloartane-type triterpene glycoside chemical. To date, many studies in cellular and animal models have demonstrated that AS-IV possesses potent protective effects in cardiovascular, lung, kidney and brain."

Yes - and we're all telling him the improvements on bloodwork have been seen with regular astragalus extract.

Just because a new version of something comes out doesn't mean it's better.

Just an update

Disappointed.
if possible leave that review on their website this is important for consumers (or wherever you purchased). in meantime, perhaps double up. may want to go with the brands guys
Yes - and we're all telling him the improvements on bloodwork have been seen with regular astragalus extract.

Just because a new version of something comes out doesn't mean it's better.
somewhere on the san diego coast @DOGGCRAPP is shaking his head in approval :)

Third time I'm saying this in two pages of this thread but seem like it needs to be said again.

@DOGGCRAPP has always recommended The Vitamin Shoppe's astragalus dosed at 3,000mg+ per day - that's what has consistently shown improved numbers on blood work.

I know I know. I’m getting on it !! lol

Correct. Thank you

When it comes to the brands that you buy and trust it is so hard to do these days. Literally the amount of brands that have a lack luster herbal ingredient is outstanding. I have always said that if the brand is only on Amazon and not in any stores, be leary of it.

Swanson, Piping rock, toniiq, now nutrition, Pure encapsulations are spectacular brands.

There is also a hige difference in Astragalus IV and Astragalus Extract (of some sort) could be a 10:1, 4:1 or what not.

Another supplement that is rarely mentioned and has both kidney and cardiovascular protection properties is grape seed extract,cheap also and backed up by a lot of research.

Whacked can i give you my opinion on this?

I am the guy who did all the research and studying on Astragalus to present to the bbing community a decade plus ago. It mainly came about because I was really upset about a guys story on this very board who went into kidney failure. I have studied so much on it in the past that i would have to go back and refresh myself on certain aspects because I have forgotten details due to study overload of other topics since ...but I know these main points.

a) It is greatly beneficial to telomere/DNA health
b) When people tried to isolate certain aspects of it like Astragaloside IV, I looked into this more and came out with the concept that the "whole" seemed to work together as a system and isolating what is perceived to be key parts might not be as beneficial. The whole seemed to work in conjunction with each other for the end result.
c) I have been in the business of making dry powders, capsules and supplements for 21 years now. Not to be smug but i have MASSIVE buying power of raw materials. So i can get ingredients much cheaper than the next guy due to the amount of material i can buy. When i see companies on Amazon selling products cheaper than I can actually make them for.....that is a scam. There is no way in hell they can capsulize, capsule count, bottle, label, cap, seal and do all the FDA testing done at a price point that is impossible. Trust me on this. Ive shown you guys before the testing results of some of these brands on Amazon that have awesome marketing and advertising on CO q10 and even Berberine. Some of the very companies you guys raved about had ZERO ingredients in their capsules to 50% of the viable ingredients. Saving money is one thing, swallowing a capsule filled with nothing but maltodextrin is another. (Edit: Nothing in this post is anything derogatory about Will Whitlock or his company, i think highly of him and use his Tudca and have seen the testing results on that and its legit)
d) NOW brands is usually a viable brand. I dont know what goes on with their Astragalus but I have never seen people get reliable results with that brand and Ive seen many (got no idea why)
e) I have nothing to do with Vitamin Shoppe, nothing, could care less about them....but their Astragalus has worked time and time again for virtually everyone I have ever seen use it. and i have seen 1000's now use it and the bloodwork to back that statement up. Are there other good brands? Probably...i just kind of stick to something I have seen work with proof in the pudding.
f) You are talking to a guy who has been a bodybuilder from 250 to 303 lbs for the last 35 years. I noticed with time that my kidney values were slightly going downward (as they do with everyone with age), not dramatically but with the natural aging process. This was before i started using Astragalus a decade plus ago.
g) I have used Astragalus virtually every single day at 4-6 caps morning and 4-6 caps night for like I said a decade plus. (along with grapeseed extract as someone else mentioned and by my previous posts on this board).....I am 58 now. Here is my kidney values from a month ago

.96 creatinine which is pretty much unheard of by anyone my size and age in the bbing world
GFR 92 on the regular scale and i wanted to get really detailed and used the Cystatin C scale which is more of the gold standard of measurement and
GFR of 114 and .69 cystatin C on that scale. If thats not proof in the pudding for you I dont know what to tell you.

I buy the 300 capsule bottles from VS and i wait till their bi yearly 50% off sales to get one at full price and one at half price and i buy 6 at a time.

Attachments

• AstragUntitled.png
    AstragUntitled.png
    245.7 KB · Views: 10

I am the guy who did all the research and studying on Astragalus to present to the bbing community a decade plus ago. It mainly came about because I was really upset about a guys story on this very board who went into kidney failure. I have studied so much on it in the past that i would have to go back and refresh myself on certain aspects because I have forgotten details due to study overload of other topics since ...but I know these main points.

b) When people tried to isolate certain aspects of it like Astragaloside IV, I looked into this more and came out with the concept that the "whole" seemed to work together as a system and isolating what is perceived to be key parts might not be as beneficial. The whole seemed to work in conjunction with each other for the end result.
c) I have been in the business of making dry powders, capsules and supplements for 21 years now. Not to be smug but i have MASSIVE buying power of raw materials. So i can get ingredients much cheaper than the next guy due to the amount of material i can buy. When i see companies on Amazon selling products cheaper than I can actually make them for.....that is a scam. There is no way in hell they can capsulize, capsule count, bottle, label, cap, seal and do all the FDA testing done at a price point that is impossible. Trust me on this. Ive shown you guys before the testing results of some of these brands on Amazon that have awesome marketing and advertising on CO q10 and even Berberine. Some of the very companies you guys raved about had ZERO ingredients in their capsules to 50% of the viable ingredients. Saving money is one thing, swallowing a capsule filled with nothing but maltodextrin is another. (Edit: Nothing in this post is anything derogatory about Will Whitlock or his company, i think highly of him and use his Tudca and have seen the testing results on that and its legit)
d) NOW brands is usually a viable brand. I dont know what goes on with their Astragalus but I have never seen people get reliable results with that brand and Ive seen many (got no idea why)
e) I have nothing to do with Vitamin Shoppe, nothing, could care less about them....but their Astragalus has worked time and time again for virtually everyone I have ever seen use it. and i have seen 1000's now use it and the bloodwork to back that statement up. Are there other good brands? Probably...i just kind of stick to something I have seen work with proof in the pudding.
f) You are talking to a guy who has been a bodybuilder from 250 to 303 lbs for the last 35 years. I noticed with time that my kidney values were slightly going downward (as they do with everyone with age), not dramatically but with the natural aging process. This was before i started using Astragalus a decade plus ago.
g) I have used Astragalus virtually every single day at 4-6 caps morning and 4-6 caps night for like I said a decade plus. (along with grapeseed extract as someone else mentioned and by my previous posts on this board).....I am 58 now. Here is my kidney values from a month ago

.96 creatinine which is pretty much unheard of by anyone my size and age in the bbing world
GFR 92 on the regular scale and i wanted to get really detailed and used the Cystatin C scale which is more of the gold standard of measurement and
GFR of 114 and .69 cystatin C on that scale. If thats not proof in the pudding for you I dont know what to tell you.

I buy the 300 capsule bottles from VS and i wait till their bi yearly 50% off sales to get one at full price and one at half price and i buy 6 at a time.
To add to this … I’ve been using 6g daily vitamin shoppe brand astragalus for four years straight now. Thanks to Dante’s recommendation. I liked the results so much I keep a five year supply on hand. I went from 40 gfr to 120 gfr. This is whilst being 250lbs and very well muscled. I utilize quite a few other things for my kidneys, too, but the astragalus is easily in the top 3 things I use in importance wise for my kidneys. I have a rare glomerular disease called c3g I’ve discussed on here before - my kidney biopsy in 2020 showed 65-70% scarring of my glomeruli and 40-50% TA/IF … these numbers essentially guarantee dialysis in all of the studies and data points and usually it is within 0-5 years. Well I’m year 4 since that biopsy and my kidneys are doing great. The human body is capable of beautiful things when you provide it the right healing environment and the right healing tools (astragalus being a prime example)

Do you know of any reliable brand off Amazon for those of us with no access to the vitamin shoppe astragalus?

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Rawmariko
NapsGear