over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Turkey Hunters on here….?

marssel

Sponsor / Kilo Club
Registered
Sponsors
I know it’s an odd thread but I’ve got some wild turkeys in the freezer bc every hunter I talk to is adamant about slicing and frying or injecting with butter and or bacon wrapping. I love game BC it’s clean any suggestions on baking or smoking. Temps, seasoning, etc. keeping it to precontest clean food, sodium no issue. Good venison and elk ideas woukd be welcome since we r at it. Thx

Cheers

I hunted turkey for years. The only way I like the taste is in the fryer. Keeps it moist.
As far as venison, most people wayyyyy over cook it.
Let some soak in a big ziplock freezer bag filled with apple cider for 24 hours. Then wrap it in bacon and cook it on the grill for a few minutes each side. Let the bacon burn.
Remove the bacon and eat that venison............absolutely delicious.

I used to hunt them years ago. Did the work of plucking and cleaning them for awhile but it’s really not worth it at least for me.

The vast majority of the meat is the breast. The rest was just kinda stringy, especially the drumsticks. When you see a plucked wild bird compared to domestic it’s almost comical. Plenty of people just breast them out which seems like a waste.
I’m all for deer, that was my staple for years. Did get an elk one year to in Colorado too.

My dad went out last weekend but didn't get anything.

Cooking game meat is no different than any other meat so I don't know what you're looking for. Cook it how you like, season it how you like. You don't have to use butter or bacon just because others say so. Cook it plain and dry like your chicken breast if you're so concerned about being in prep. Personally I cook everything on sear - as long as you turn it regularly it won't burn or dry out.

We've gotten 4 this year , we always either cut them into nuggets and deep fry or blacken or inject and whole deep fry.
We have baked a few in the past and brining them well and not over cooking in the key , i cut the back out and flatten them out so they cook more evenly and i use a "Meat Stick" and cook to internal temp of the brest is 140.

Yesssss! To DENS228 Venison recipe. Please don't overcook Venison (should be considered a criminal offense beautiful and sublime game meat)! Also look up Beer and Maple Glazed Venison recipe:

I live in a very rural location and can hunt on my property year round and thus keep a freezer full of Venison, Turkey, and an occasional Rabbit, Quail, or Pheasant (although hardly worth it).

As for Turkey if you're concerned about preserving moisture while avoiding the butter and bacon approach, either use the Fryer as recommended, or cut it up, throw it all in a slow cooker with various veggies, fresh garlic, mushrooms, onions, rice, and herb seasoning in a base of chicken bone broth and cook for around 8 hours. Can do the same thing with Venison or any other game (as you can tell, I am a fan of stew).

Brief aside, if anyone has ever taken down a black bear (particularly one on a Huckleberry diet)... have to say, cooked right.....that is the best meat I have ever tasted bar none. Only down side is that I prefer nearly all meats cooked rare, and black bear needs to be cooked medium due to possible Trichinosis.

Happy Hunting!

We've gotten 4 this year , we always either cut them into nuggets and deep fry or blacken or inject and whole deep fry.
We have baked a few in the past and brining them well and not over cooking in the key , i cut the back out and flatten them out so they cook more evenly and i use a "Meat Stick" and cook to internal temp of the brest is 140.

Now that sounds legit 👌

I’ll try the baking method I got two birds one good one the other a rockstar trophy 11 inch beard bird was close to 40 lbs the other one maybe 25 lbs. these birds have access to wheat and feeders with protein, corn and milo so should not be any game taste to them though turkey isn’t gamey imo. I just can’t fry it this time I’m dieting hard. We got a few weeks left if I’m lucky I’ll tag out but with a newborn I’m not counting my turkeys until they drop. Thanks brother

Yesssss! To DENS228 Venison recipe. Please don't overcook Venison (should be considered a criminal offense beautiful and sublime game meat)! Also look up Beer and Maple Glazed Venison recipe:

I live in a very rural location and can hunt on my property year round and thus keep a freezer full of Venison, Turkey, and an occasional Rabbit, Quail, or Pheasant (although hardly worth it).

As for Turkey if you're concerned about preserving moisture while avoiding the butter and bacon approach, either use the Fryer as recommended, or cut it up, throw it all in a slow cooker with various veggies, fresh garlic, mushrooms, onions, rice, and herb seasoning in a base of chicken bone broth and cook for around 8 hours. Can do the same thing with Venison or any other game (as you can tell, I am a fan of stew).

Brief aside, if anyone has ever taken down a black bear (particularly one on a Huckleberry diet)... have to say, cooked right.....that is the best meat I have ever tasted bar none. Only down side is that I prefer nearly all meats cooked rare, and black bear needs to be cooked medium due to possible Trichinosis.

Happy Hunting!
Never had bear but really want to, my father is an extremely accomplished hunter but he has had a no bear policy growing up so I never went and haven’t met anyone with land and bears to hunt. They say they’re everywhere but I hunt TX, OK, LA, TN (west) and black bear just aren’t around. I have heard bear fat makes everything taste good but like the well cooked I also was told it should be frozen hard for about a year to kill parasites and such.

I’ll try the baking method I got two birds one good one the other a rockstar trophy 11 inch beard bird was close to 40 lbs the other one maybe 25 lbs. these birds have access to wheat and feeders with protein, corn and milo so should not be any game taste to them though turkey isn’t gamey imo. I just can’t fry it this time I’m dieting hard. We got a few weeks left if I’m lucky I’ll tag out but with a newborn I’m not counting my turkeys until they drop. Thanks brother
A 40 pound wild turkey? 😳
What subspecies is this? Like Eastern, Rio Grande, Osceola or Merriams

Brother you have been pre contest for years.. the glory days are over 🔚
Well I’ve gone into prep and come out the last few years. Having kids in your 40s is definitely a shock and it’s definitely hindered me and you’re right I won’t best my best years, no one competing long term is gonna peak after 40. I think just about every guy here is past his glory days damn sure is no reason to stop competing or pushing yourself. At least I won’t.

A 40 pound wild turkey? 😳
What subspecies is this? Like Eastern, Rio Grande, Osceola or Merriams
Rio, 38 I rounded up 2 lbs but yea huge fucker

Well I’ve gone into prep and come out the last few years. Having kids in your 40s is definitely a shock and it’s definitely hindered me and you’re right I won’t best my best years, no one competing long term is gonna peak after 40. I think just about every guy here is past his glory days damn sure is no reason to stop competing or pushing yourself. At least I won’t.

Then just say dieting bro.

My wife and I hunt turkey every spring using crossbows. It's a bit challenging using an arrow but incredibly rewarding to eat wild turkey breasts marinated in Italian dressing overnight.

Season opens April 25 in my area. I have this fella stroling past my camera most mornings .

Fingers crossed.

Spring Walleye fishing is world class here. Limits in 30 min most days.

Ontario Spring bear Archer up next in May

Attachments

• spypoint_46264820827609.jpg
    spypoint_46264820827609.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 18
  • spypoint_115097765543956.jpg
    spypoint_115097765543956.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Resized_20240407_122433.jpeg
    Resized_20240407_122433.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 16
Couple favorite dishes.
Version backstrap blue rare and bacon wrapped bear tenderloin.

Attachments

• 20240404_180445.jpg
    20240404_180445.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230724_180901.jpg
    20230724_180901.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210819_164352.jpg
    20210819_164352.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 9
My wife and I hunt turkey every spring using crossbows. It's a bit challenging using an arrow but incredibly rewarding to eat wild turkey breasts marinated in Italian dressing overnight.

Season opens April 25 in my area. I have this fella stroling past my camera most mornings .

Fingers crossed.

Not much better then fresh walleye, perch is a close second I think. Do you have morel mushrooms up there? Makes for a hell of a good plate

Fingers crossed.

A little grainy but he’s got great colors and looks pretty big. That’d be a great take. I know where I’d be morning of the 25th, that’s pretty late season opener. You live on your land you hunt?

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Skunk101
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws