mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Where does everyone live and how do you like it there?

I mean an increase in homelessness and drug use kind of affects the quality of life. People move and property value goes down.
And…? Who is disagreeing with you?
EVERYONE is moving to Texas. Therefore you will get the good and the bad…

And @Drax

Housing will no doubt be considerably smaller in sqm, no way around that. If we can equalize that based on the cultures of the US and Japan as standard, then we can open the discussion.
Central Tokyo, in the heart of 23 wards can be expensive and can appreciate. Most other places will depreciate over time, especially free-standing homes.
In expensive places prices can get extremely high, but this is true everywhere, and it is what keeps the average price of housing up where it is.
I have a good friend who pays 3,000,000 yen per month in rent, living in the priciest area of the neighborhood I used to live in, Hiroo, Shibuya-ka.

Last year when I decided to buy, I didn't want to spend a lot on a depreciating property and I wanted a little more peace, so we went to the Western suburbs of Tokyo.
We looked at new houses first, then went to condominiums because of the location and usability. Houses tend to be stacked with steep stairways, already an issue for me now, terrible when 70+.
I got a 85sqm 3LDK (3 beds, living room, dining, and kitchen,etc) condominium. The main train station which is 10m but bus can reach Shinjuku in 30m by rapid express.
This complex is part of a designed community in the bubble era, with units then going for one hundred million yen and up.

All said and done, I paid a little over twenty million yen, put in 4,000,000 in renovations, which were done in 5 weeks. 0.297% floating APR.
Most people want condos or "mansions" because they are better located and more valuable. Most houses traditionally lose all value after 20-30 years; only the land retains value.
Tokyo property tax is 1.4%- ish. I haven't got my bill yet, but I expect it to be quite low as my building is not brand new.
I don't have a car and don't need one (though I like cars quite a lot).

Some things can be a bit expensive, but it is not the norm:
  • Bus and train from home to central Tokyo is about 700 yen
  • Regular doctor or dentist visit is 1500 yen or so
  • Quality eggs are about 350-400 yen for 10
  • Milk is 500 yen for 1000ml
  • 5 Dole bananas are 298 yen
  • my favorite snack of tortilla chips is 88 yen a bag
  • My electric bill last moth with 3 people, three separate AC / heaters, a 50" TV, my gaming PC and my wife's PC was 13,300 yen
  • A big mac set is 650 yen
  • My Sony fiber internet is 2000 yen
  • My mobile is 4-7000 yen
  • My gym is 9400 yen
  • You can still get lunch for "one coin", i.e. 500 yen
  • I can get a mint 10-year-old Lexus IS with under 40k for 5-8k USD
The weak yen cuts two ways for me, as my US investments have ballooned, but it is now more expensive to continue investing. For you guys everything is on sale here.
Let me know if you have other questions.

This is beyond fascinating and I thank you for taking the time for the write up. Few questions:

1) Why are the non central wards depreciating? And at what rate? I would think with that population there would always be a demand for ownership? Especially with such low interest rates?
2) What is the process for a foreigner purchasing a property in Japan? What are the no bullshit interest rates? My wife and I looked at snagging a spot in Thailand however the banking system for non-nationals/expats seemed haphazard at best.

I have a million questions - I sincerely love the country (literally flying out tomorrow for a week).

bro tons of bros here live in vegas I can name like 3-4 off the top , seems like its bodybuilder central, I could NEVER live there! I would rather live in DTLA and NYC BRONX than VEGAS LOL , maybe even SF, SEATTLE or PORTLAND LOL

I've been in Texas now since 2013. Needing a state with no capital gains tax, legitimate business opportunities for expansion, and a lower cost of living primarily. The prop tax in Nevada is substantially lower than that of Texas and no cap gains tax. Lowers my tax burden substantially.

Wife and I are hopefully going to have a child within the next 18 months. Needing to sow some more permanent roots and honestly a bit of a change. I've been in Texas for so damn long and have fully capitalized on my time here. Wife is a latina with fucking amazing hair so Florida is out of the question (humidity... haha).

I've been in Texas now since 2013. Needing a state with no capital gains tax, legitimate business opportunities for expansion, and a lower cost of living primarily. The prop tax in Nevada is substantially lower than that of Texas and no cap gains tax. Lowers my tax burden substantially.

Wife and I are hopefully going to have a child within the next 18 months. Needing to sow some more permanent roots and honestly a bit of a change. I've been in Texas for so damn long and have fully capitalized on my time here. Wife is a latina with fucking amazing hair so Florida is out of the question (humidity... haha).
Lol, I'm in Vegas (part-time) and thinking about moving to Dallas (Mckinney/Allen area).

how about camden? are you in nj? i heard that's the cour d'alane of the east coast :LOL:
I’m more North in Middlesex county. I used to live in Ft Lee which was nicer and before that in Manhattan on UES which was beautiful- spent most of my life renting like an idiot and just bought my first place in 2022. As far as Camden- I’m not that familiar but know it’s bad. I’m all over NYC everyday for work and the decline there is visible.

how are you still alive lol? oakland, stockton, south sactown, san jose (some parts) and fresno are such bad cities. majorly gang infested

Chicago is the worst of all. we come from northside schiller park in the polish community

berkley is liberal hippy central lol, still probably a cool community.
Lol it sounds tougher than it is. I mean, I lived in the worst parts of Stockton, but during those years of my life, I was an unassuming friendly drug addict, in and out of jail, decent amount of size to prevent me from being an easy mark, and nothing threatening about my personality to cause people to have problems with me, plus down enough with the homies through drugs/jail etc to move around in peace and get along with most people on the street. But I lived in a very well to do part of Oakland, and in San Jose and Fresno I was basically a home body, and in South Sac I was always at work and never at home or in the neighborhood.

We will see how long I survive in Chicago. 😂

I’m more North in Middlesex county. I used to live in Ft Lee which was nicer and before that in Manhattan on UES which was beautiful- spent most of my life renting like an idiot and just bought my first place in 2022. As far as Camden- I’m not that familiar but know it’s bad. I’m all over NYC everyday for work and the decline there is visible.
I went to a wedding in ft lee! right across from NYC across the water right? I went to a wedding in ft lee with an ex and got thrown out lol. funny story. it was immediately after the wedding everyone was eating drinking dining, and I was sitting at a table with my gf and across me was a NJ puerto rican chick and her man/date. The girl across from me said "what are you looking at" out of the blue which shocked me because I was with my gf and not even acknowledging the girl across from me ?? and I said something like "sure as fuck not you!" and she cocked back (which I noticed in slow motion almost) and threw her drink at my face and I dodged it! and I went to throw my drink contents at her face to return the favor and I accidently let go of the wine glass too and bonked her a lil. It did NOT go well. So I had always wanted to try white castle after seeing it in all the stoner movies and I took a rental car to white castle in NY and it sucked. girlfriend was pist it was as her childhood best friend wedding but she knew it wasn't my fault. still very awkward but I laugh about it because I nailed her lol it was a soft lil lob from 2 feet away. she should have got thrown out not me , what nerve. i flew from san diego to ft lee nj for all that .

anyway they say camden is the compton of the east coast
1713155487577.jpeg 1713155532232.jpeg

Haha
I went to a wedding in ft lee! right across from NYC across the water right? I went to a wedding in ft lee with an ex and got thrown out lol. funny story. it was immediately after the wedding everyone was eating drinking dining, and I was sitting at a table with my gf and across me was a NJ puerto rican chick and her man/date. The girl across from me said "what are you looking at" out of the blue which shocked me because I was with my gf and not even acknowledging the girl across from me ?? and I said something like "sure as fuck not you!" and she cocked back (which I noticed in slow motion almost) and threw her drink at my face and I dodged it! and I went to throw my drink contents at her face to return the favor and I accidently let go of the wine glass too and bonked her a lil. It did NOT go well. So I had always wanted to try white castle after seeing it in all the stoner movies and I took a rental car to white castle in NY and it sucked. girlfriend was pist it was as her childhood best friend wedding but she knew it wasn't my fault. still very awkward but I laugh about it because I nailed her lol it was a soft lil lob from 2 feet away. she should have got thrown out not me , what nerve. i flew from san diego to ft lee nj for all that .

View attachment 196372View attachment 196373
Haha. Crazy story. In all fairness- she did deserve it. Your ex was hot- she should’ve been just as mad as you were for the disrespect. I’m trying to figure out where exactly that is cause I don’t know of any venues in the area. I used to live very close to where that was but more down towards the water and to the left closer to the GW bridge. That’s the view I had from my place. IMG_0697.jpeg IMG_0684.jpeg

View attachment 196372View attachment 196373

This is beyond fascinating and I thank you for taking the time for the write up. Few questions:

1) Why are the non central wards depreciating? And at what rate? I would think with that population there would always be a demand for ownership? Especially with such low interest rates?
2) What is the process for a foreigner purchasing a property in Japan? What are the no bullshit interest rates? My wife and I looked at snagging a spot in Thailand however the banking system for non-nationals/expats seemed haphazard at best.

I have a million questions - I sincerely love the country (literally flying out tomorrow for a week).

Shortest answer is population decline.
All the business activity is in central Tokyo, so all the young people go there. Tokyo is the world's largest city.

There is a surplus of housing in Japan, but they teardown and rebuild very fast in the heart of it and try to draw buyers / renters.
Everyplace else suffers the young and total person drain. My area is mostly old people. More adult diapers than baby diapers are sold in Japan, and over 1/3 of the country is over 60 and accelerating.
On the way home from the gym today there was a tiny old lady across from me who I wasn't sure if she was sleeping or dead. Fortunately she woke up and got off the bus.

Foreigners can buy property, but it would be very hard to get a loan.
Even amongst foreign residents you really need permanent status to get a loan with ease. I have my Japanese "green card".
Plaza Homes, in my old neighborhood has some interesting information: https://www.realestate-tokyo.com/

White Castle? You bring back memories with that one. I grew up in the Bronx and we used to hit White Castle on Fordham Rd ( I believe that’s the original one) after a night drinking and they tasted good at the time but yeah they are shit. You probably went to one of the ones in Harlem as it’s a shorter drive not far from the GW Bridge. I do get tempted to try them again but thought better of it. We call them murder burgers for a reason.

Born in SE Massachusetts, moved to Tokyo, Japan in 2007, permanent resident since 2009. Finally bough my own place last year, and I'm settled in and retiring here.
I love it. No place is perfect, but it's pretty close for me.
Safe, pleasant, accessible healthcare, great people, great transport, low cost of living, and a perfect mix of the old and new.

If you don't mind me asking, How hard was the immigration process? I have been to various places in Japan for extended vacations, and always loved the people, the culture, the serenity, the beautiful landscape. Not so much the expensive food prices, and the hot summers can be a bit hard 😅.

But overall, a wonderful place on earth. I'd leave this goddamn forsaken hellhole of Europe in a heartbeat if I could.

If you don't mind me asking, How hard was the immigration process? I have been to various places in Japan for extended vacations, and always loved the people, the culture, the serenity, the beautiful landscape. Not so much the expensive food prices, and the hot summers can be a bit hard 😅.

But overall, a wonderful place on earth. I'd leave this goddamn forsaken hellhole of Europe in a heartbeat if I could.

They are loosening it because they have to, but it is quite tight. Aussies and I think Canadians can get a 6-month working holiday.

Work visas are as you would expect, as well as other special visas.
I came in on a spouse visa and transitioned to permanent when I could.

Food can be quite cheap, but the humid summer is indeed brutal - I'll never adapt.

Haha

Haha. Crazy story. In all fairness- she did deserve it. Your ex was hot- she should’ve been just as mad as you were for the disrespect. I’m trying to figure out where exactly that is cause I don’t know of any venues in the area. I used to live very close to where that was but more down towards the water and to the left closer to the GW bridge. That’s the view I had from my place.View attachment 196376View attachment 196375
That is a nice view!!

Haha

Haha. Crazy story. In all fairness- she did deserve it. Your ex was hot- she should’ve been just as mad as you were for the disrespect. I’m trying to figure out where exactly that is cause I don’t know of any venues in the area. I used to live very close to where that was but more down towards the water and to the left closer to the GW bridge. That’s the view I had from my place.View attachment 196376View attachment 196375
That is a nice view!!
Vegas definitely seems like the bodybuilding Mecca here in the US.

Dont forget about Bud Crawford.
I didn't forget him, he is from here but I don't want to name names of people in sports due to the nature of the board. Other guys I actually know as well, I have never met Crawford. I've talked to a couple golden gloves guys that say boxing is totally fixed and he isn't good at all in real life....lol jk they say the dude is insane good nothing about boxing being fixed.

Agreed fellow Canuck! Need an MRI, get on that 24 month wait list. Or you can pay out of pocket DESPIT 17% of your taxes going to our "FREE HEALTH CARE". I hate the sheep in Canada who trumpet our health care system. They are fucking morons

Hows your price of gas after that latest carbon "rebate"? hahha....
Trudeaus head rattles when he shakes it. I have never seen a bigger moron yet

Shortest answer is population decline.

Everyplace else suffers the young and total person drain. My area is mostly old people. More adult diapers than baby diapers are sold in Japan, and over 1/3 of the country is over 60 and accelerating.
With the potential of WWIII aside, this is the challenge for humanity in the next 50 years or so. Too many old people and total consumers, and not enough young people to produce and take care of the aging and incapacitated. With this so obviously evident there, is there any sort of public plan of action to deal with this?

With the potential of WWIII aside, this is the challenge for humanity in the next 50 years or so. Too many old people and total consumers, and not enough young people to produce and take care of the aging and incapacitated. With this so obviously evident there, is there any sort of public plan of action to deal with this?
I cannot speak on Japan as I know nothing of their plights, though 1/3 of the population being over 60 is pretty insane. I do however look at their debt to gpd ratio and think there is hope for America. I do not know if they have a social security system that the elderly draw upon but if they do that is actually IMO a good thing.

I say this as in 2035 1/4 of Americas population will be retired and drawing upon the social security system. That is a pretty large amount plus the Debt America carriers is IMO too much but if you look at Japans debt to GDP ratio we still have some ways to go before any alarm bells are sounded. So that is good news...kinda
I'll post part 2 later

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Testedunitedstates
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity