mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Attempting to get lean... Anyone care to critique what I'm doing?

So you ask for advice
Get it from qualified professionals/coaches
Then do exactly what they advised against
Smart...

What exactly am I doing that they advised against? I've raised the calories, am increasing the cardio, and intend to rein in the weekends... I haven't hired anyone although I reached out to Skip this morning.

I'm literally shaving my nips rn what you want from me?

So you ask for advice
Get it from qualified professionals/coaches
Then do exactly what they advised against
Smart...
We're getting more and more of this over the last 2 years

Anyone who gives serious replies to these threads is part of the problem. We aren't being hard enough on people who want us to do their homework.

I am far from an expert compared to the guys on this board.

I think your problem is that you are not suffering enough. Getting lean is hard, being hungry sucks...and doing it for weeks upon weeks is mentally taxing.

Track everything you eat. Take your weight in the morning everyday. Dump all of this into excel. Then calculate your true TDEE based on weight loss. To get more complex start taking skin folds so you can track changes in fat.

Make appropriate adjustments.

1715190704725.png

Im always a little shocked when I give people a plan and they dont understand the cardio aspect of it.
Or even when i hear a person tell me their hardcore gym transformation plan and it is cardio-less.
I mean first of all, there hasnt been a shredded/jacked person on this planet who hasnt liiived on some sort of cardio machine.
There are some out there, but they are genetic anomalies. If you want to be leaner then you've ever been, you have to diet hard then you ever have and do cardio longer than you ever will. You cannot make minimal adjustments and just become jacked. People are just clueless AND most people cannot embrace the least amount of suffering. Time consuming, exhausting anddd long? Oh hell no, the average person doesnt wanna do it.

And you know what the downside to PM is? Is that there's sooo much fuckin info, and good info, and so many smart members, that people really dont wanna learn for themselves. It's easier to just come in and post a thread saying you dont track food and basically eat whatever on the weekends, WHY AM I NOT losing anymore weight? This entire thread is about someone who actually DOES know why his diet is sucking and why he's stalled. Yet we are still spoonfeeding it to him. Stop eating like shit on the weekends, track your food. Do more cardio. The End....he already know this.

What's worse - the completely cluessless client who doesnt know a thinggg Or the one who is self-aware enough to know he/she is giving half-assed effort and cutting corners?

Im always a little shocked when I give people a plan and they dont understand the cardio aspect of it.
Or even when i hear a person tell me their hardcore gym transformation plan and it is cardio-less.
I mean first of all, there hasnt been a shredded/jacked person on this planet who hasnt liiived on some sort of cardio machine.
There are some out there, but they are genetic anomalies. If you want to be leaner then you've ever been, you have to diet hard then you ever have and do cardio longer than you ever will. You cannot make minimal adjustments and just become jacked. People are just clueless AND most people cannot embrace the least amount of suffering. Time consuming, exhausting anddd long? Oh hell no, the average person doesnt wanna do it.

And you know what the downside to PM is? Is that there's sooo much fuckin info, and good info, and so many smart members, that people really dont wanna learn for themselves. It's easier to just come in and post a thread saying you dont track food and basically eat whatever on the weekends, WHY AM I NOT losing anymore weight? This entire thread is about someone who actually DOES know why his diet is sucking and why he's stalled. Yet we are still spoonfeeding it to him. Stop eating like shit on the weekends, track your food. Do more cardio. The End....he already know this.

What's worse - the completely cluessless client who doesnt know a thinggg Or the one who is self-aware enough to know he/she is giving half-assed effort and cutting corners?

Fair enough

The problem is that few exercise intensely. It's like someone asking me if 1 minute rest between squats is enough..... Heck, I need at least 3-5 minutes before I can go on to the next set.

I don't understand short rests on basic free weight exercises, no one can train heavy if they rest for 1 minute or less.

This is not a speed sport, don't exists prizes for finishing training earlier, tri-series and all that shit have their place, but it's a marginal place.

But even if I hadn't just trained legs they probably would have been sore since I never run so idk

The last time I ran was many years ago, I spent a shitty week recovering. I only felt more shattered after a power competition, but that was to be expected and desired.

Of course, if I would run more often my body would get used to it, but I have no desire to be or look like a runner.

Fair enough

For what it's worth, I think you have a pretty good attitude with the feedback. I'll post some updated pictures with my progress but I'm essentially on the same path as you. I'm not trying to get to 5-6%. I would like to stick around 8-10% (I was around 13%-15% when I started dieting). I also want to be able to go to a fair, eat a hotdog and have a few beers on a Saturday. Scratch that...I will do that and you can do that if you are willing to sacrifice some physique. I'm doing it on 20mgs test and 10 mgs mast/day.

For me, I looked at the framework of what I would commit to...

1. Enjoy Saturdays with my family. Not a binge day, but sure as heck I'll be free eating
2. I will commit to eat reduced calories sunday through Friday. I prefer a carnivore based diet because it curtails my hunger. 2,500 calories on those days and usually <150 carbs.
3. I will do 30 minutes of hard biking 5 days a week
4. I will weight train hard 3, possibly 4 days a week
5. I will not take over 200mgs test / 100mgs mast a week.

That was what I committed to. It is reasonable, but will limit me. If I was strict 7 days, if I raised the drugs, etc. etc. I look at what I am willing to commit to and assess what the outcome could be (IMO) and if it is worth it. I can produce a 220 pound 10% physique from my original 15% bf physique (I actually ceased all drugs and trt for a bit) with the above plan. To me, numbers 1-5 to get the 220 and 10% is worth it. I will also likely drive cardio up so I can keep my food at 2,500.

I'd just reassess your diet to improve overall nutrient intake and structure your "free"/family time so it's more focused.

For what it's worth, I think you have a pretty good attitude with the feedback. I'll post some updated pictures with my progress but I'm essentially on the same path as you. I'm not trying to get to 5-6%. I would like to stick around 8-10% (I was around 13%-15% when I started dieting). I also want to be able to go to a fair, eat a hotdog and have a few beers on a Saturday. Scratch that...I will do that and you can do that if you are willing to sacrifice some physique. I'm doing it on 20mgs test and 10 mgs mast/day.

For me, I looked at the framework of what I would commit to...

1. Enjoy Saturdays with my family. Not a binge day, but sure as heck I'll be free eating
2. I will commit to eat reduced calories sunday through Friday. I prefer a carnivore based diet because it curtails my hunger. 2,500 calories on those days and usually <150 carbs.
3. I will do 30 minutes of hard biking 5 days a week
4. I will weight train hard 3, possibly 4 days a week
5. I will not take over 200mgs test / 100mgs mast a week.

That was what I committed to. It is reasonable, but will limit me. If I was strict 7 days, if I raised the drugs, etc. etc. I look at what I am willing to commit to and assess what the outcome could be (IMO) and if it is worth it. I can produce a 220 pound 10% physique from my original 15% bf physique (I actually ceased all drugs and trt for a bit) with the above plan. To me, numbers 1-5 to get the 220 and 10% is worth it. I will also likely drive cardio up so I can keep my food at 2,500.

I'd just reassess your diet to improve overall nutrient intake and structure your "free"/family time so it's more focused.

Not really any feedback in this thread that I disagree with tbh. I more or less knew what needed to change but hearing it from others is still helpful. But yeah, I guess I didn't really need to post.

What you outlined is exactly what I'm going for. I'm open to higher anabolics but a gram might be a bit overkill for where I'm at. Low carb is also a lot better for my adherence. I have a real sweet tooth and even if it's just some fruit I'm still left craving lol.

I've been doing cardio every day since I originally posted. I used to get my heart rate just counting my pulse for ten seconds and multiplying by six. I just started using a Fitbit and, assuming it's accurate, my counting must have been way off. I have to push a lot harder than I thought to stay around 130bpm.

For myself, I need to lift at least four days. I'd really prefer five or six but I feel way too selfish taking so much away from the family. I had been training before work but losing that 90 minutes of sleep was killing me.

But good luck on your journey man. Hopefully we both get where we're trying to go.

I don't understand short rests on basic free weight exercises, no one can train heavy if they rest for 1 minute or less.

This is not a speed sport, don't exists prizes for finishing training earlier, tri-series and all that shit have their place, but it's a marginal place.
Go do a cluster set, widow maker, or a true FST-7 set and see if you still feel that way. 😂

In the grand scheme of things I know what you’re saying, but short rest breaks used in volume or finisher sets have their place.

Meadow’s believed that was the best way to train arms and delts for many exercises.

Go do a cluster set, widow maker, or a true FST-7 set and see if you still feel that way. 😂

In the grand scheme of things I know what you’re saying, but short rest breaks used in volume or finisher sets have their place.

Meadow’s believed that was the best way to train arms and delts for many exercises.

People that think 1:30 rest is too fast to bulid muscle are in terrible cardiovascular shape

Even a squat
Or deadlift to damn near meeting god….2 minutes later
You should be getting ready for the next
Set.

You need 3 minutes for a leg press set? You better have bands holding plates so they don’t fall off the machine

Regarding rest periods. I think it is best dictated by your HR. I will wait between sets until I get into the mid 120s. That being said I do not try to 'smash the log book' any longer being in my EARLY 50s.

Sure, it's okay to end up with a few sets of descents and short rests, or even train some muscles that way.

Rest times are based on the exercise, volume, number of reps or intensity. Or if you are training to failure every set or far away from it.

The effort required on cables or machines is not the same as on free weights.

A press on a machine allows you to recover sooner than a barbell press.

I can see what Meadows says about shoulders and arms, but I wouldn't want to have short rests if I do skull crushers to failure.

People that think 1:30 rest is too fast to bulid muscle are in terrible cardiovascular shape

Even a squat
Or deadlift to damn near meeting god….2 minutes later
You should be getting ready for the next
Set.

You need 3 minutes for a leg press set? You better have bands holding plates so they don’t fall off the machine
It's not just about the cardiovascular aspect. Lungs may be ready after 2 minutes but supporting muscles may not be and you may not be ready to give maximal effort. The timer shouldn't dictate rest periods.

It's not just about the cardiovascular aspect. Lungs may be ready after 2 minutes but supporting muscles may not be and you may not be ready to give maximal effort. The timer shouldn't dictate rest periods.
Absolutely.

If you want maximum muscle mass you should rest until you feel as fresh as possible for the next set - I got that from Dave Tate years. That shouldn't be too long on stuff like pec deck but at my biggest and strongest I regularly had 5-10 minute rest periods between my heaviest sets on my main lifts.

Exactly
Save the cardio for the treadmill or stepmill
Keep the weights heavy/intense and as fast as it needs to be to perform the next set as best as possible

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
sharkygear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws